Finishes

Saturday, June 1, 2013

May YOTA

Well I took a few months off from this great YOTA idea of finishing up Works in Progress, but now I am back.  I have been trying frantically to catch up on a SAL that I have fallen terribly behind on but I decided to pull out this very old Needlepoint WIP to try to finish up.  We will call this project Chi Omega Pillow.  Back in college I joined this Sorority (*It is actually technically a Fraternity maybe I'll share the story next time) and my Mom being the avid Goodwill shopper that she is found this there and thought of her only daughter...ME!  The kit had everything and I think I probably started it sometime around 2003.

Here is how it has looked since I started it those 10 long years ago...


And here is how far I am on it today...



Unfortunately somehow in the past decade I lost or ran out of some of the wool colors.  So I have had to rework it a bit.  A few weeks ago I thought I knew of a shop in Oslo that carried what I would need to finish it, and I travelled all the way downtown with my daughter and this kit in my backpack, only to find out they stopped carrying Needlepoint supplies.  But on another day I stumbled into another craft shop that did have the wool, but I didn't have the kit so I tried to remember what I thought I needed from memory.  When I got home it turned out I was ALL wrong and the new wool was much thinner than the old.  So I am trying to finish this with the products and colors I have left.  I took out the yellow bit since I thought I was out but then a few days after finishing it up in red my little girl came walking out of our storage room with a bunch of yellow wool!  

Anyways I am enjoying working on this project for a few reasons.  First it brings back lots of fun memories of my Sisters and all of the adventures we had in College.  Also I am enjoying not having to look at a chart and count it out, and lastly the tent stitches on this needlepoint seem to be going so much quicker and the wool gets better coverage than cross stitch cotton thread!

I didn't finish it yet but I should have it done by next month for sure!


6 comments:

  1. What a great piece. I look forward to seeing more of it. Welcome back to YOTA :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks again for starting this program :)

      Delete
  2. It looks great! Can't wait to see it when it's done. You're making it into a pillow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I was thinking pillow since it is about that size, but I don't know what else I could do with a finished Needlepoint piece? It seems strange to me to get it framed...

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work and compensating for having to use different thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! In a perfect world I would have all the colors the same consistency but I feel like I am making due with what I have pretty well :)

      Delete