Finishes

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Patiently Waiting is Completely Finished!

Hello everyone out there.  I have a new start and finish to share with you today!!

A few weeks ago (the actual date is a bit fuzzy). I started this small kit Patiently Waiting by Dimensions.  A crafty friend gave this to me before Christmas last year.  I had gotten a bit bored with a new start I have yet to share with you and this piece was calling to me.  This was a rather quick and easy project.  It was my first time stitching on plastic canvas and hopefully my last.  I didn't enjoy the rigidness of the material and the resistance I felt with each pull of the needle. 

Anyways here are some progress photos...

Here it is just before I cut it out and started to assemble it.  I had to change the French knot Holly berries slightly from the directions.  They wanted you to use all six strands to make the knots.  I thought that sounded really crazy since each hole already had 12 strands of floss running thru a very tight space, but I figured I would give it a try. It was difficult but I had finished five of the berries before I broke my needle!  So I decided to attempt them with only 3 strands and that worked well :)

Part of the reason why I chose this kit to work on was because it included everything to finish it into a banner/ornament.  I am the worst at finishing my stitching projects (my unfinished object pile is very high) but I wanted to challenge myself to completely finish something.

Here is what it is supposed to look like finished...
And here is my finish!!
I kept the felt back a little wider and decided to hand stitch the tube for a dowel or twig at the top closed.  The stitching isnt the straightest line but I can live with it.  I decided not to cut fringe into the bottom angles and skip the white French knot stars on the lower half also.

Overall I am pleased with how this turned out and excited that I now have one Christmas present completed!  Also this is my EIGHTH finish in 7 months so far this year!

Happy Stitching!

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy to have one Christmas present complete :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about the plastic canvas! Have you tried perforated paper? It's a bit less stiff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ever since you generously gave me that Mill Hill Santa I have enjoyed stitching on the paper:) I have another plastic canvas kit that I think I will share with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on this piece. I love the changes you made. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am happy how well this design turned out :)

      Delete
  5. It looks fantastic! Great job :D I've never worked with plastic canvas, but it doesn't sound fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. Some people are fine with stitching on plastic canvas but I would prefer stitching on perforated paper next time on something like this.

      Delete
  6. Such a cute finish!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete